Before you know it, cool crisp air will descend upon us, leaves will begin to change, and they days will grow shorter. Oh wait…we live in Florida and it’s still August—the muggiest month of the year. Well, eventually the humidity will lessen, the leaves will fall off the trees, and it “might’ get cooler.
Whether or not it gets cold, Floridians will eventually drag their closed-toe shoes out of the closet and start wearing them again for business or school and the upcoming fall and winter months!
And with full-coverage shoes comes full-on stinky feet! Once you wrap your feet in a full shoe or tennis shoes, the more than 250, 000 sweat glands in your feet go into overdrive and produce sweat!
But the sweat isn’t what stinks! The smells comes from bacteria that live on our skin that eat the sweat and then excrete waste! Yeah, I know. Gross. But true. So, what can you do to help keep this sweat-eating bacteria under control? Here are a few ideas for you:
- wash your feet with strong anti-bacterial soap
- wear clean socks
- don’t wear the same shoes everyday
- wear well-ventilated shoes instead of very constrictive shoes
- always wear socks, preferably made of cotton or other absorbent materials
- change your socks a few times a day, if needed
- use a daily foot spray
- use a foot soak weekly to loosen dead skin and make way for new clean skin
- apply an antiperspirant to your feet
- spray Lysol in your shoes before you put them in the closet at night, and let it air dry overnight
Following these tips will help keep those feet smelling fresh!
If you or a loved one are looking for a podiatrist in the Sarasota-Bradenton area or are experiencing heel problems, Sarasota or Bradenton is the place to be! Please schedule an appointment with Dr. Lasday, Dr. Zdancewicz, or Dr. Goecker for a thorough and professional evaluation, either in our Bradenton Podiatry office at (941) 753-9599 or our Sarasota Podiatry office at (941) 366-2627.
Oh, and one more thing…if you haven’t already, please like us on Facebook where we share foot tips, great pictures, and fun facts!