So far in this blog we have talked about ways to treat damaged feet and ankles, i.e. Achilles tendonitis, toe nail fungus, diabetic foot, bunions, plantar fasciitis, plantar warts, sprained ankle, and so on…
But now I want to take some time to discuss ways to keep your feet healthy and happy. Remember what the wise Benjamin Franklin said: “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!” And since summer is basically here in sunny Sarasota, Florida, you want your feet to be in tip-top sandal shape!
So here are my top 5 tips for keeping your feet healthy and happy.
- Keep ‘Em Clean! Proper hygiene and basic nail care go a long way in helping maintain healthy and happy feet. Wash your feet daily and keep your nails trimmed and clean.
- Watch where you go barefoot! Let’s face it, we Floridians love to go barefoot! But be careful…you can really injure your feet going barefoot at the wrong places. Limit going barefoot to places like the beach where the ground is soft and forgiving.
- Treat Your Shoes! If you are an athletic type of individual, spray your shoes with a disinfectant spray or use powder to ward off pesky athlete’s foot.
- Control Callouses! Don’t let callouses get out of hand. Pay particular attention to those heels. Cracked skin can become infected skin.
- Don’t Ignore Foot Pain! Don’t let aches, pains, rashes go unattended. It’s completely abnormal to have aches and pains in the foot. See your podiatrist if pain continues for more than a day.
Oh and here is a Bonus: Wear supportive shoes! Now ladies don’t cringe! This doesn’t mean they have to be ugly or lack fashion sense. But everyone’s shoes should be soft and provide proper support for your feet. If you’re addicted to flip flops or sandals, stick with ones that have substantial heel cushion & padding. And gentlemen, this goes for you too.
Here are some stylish flip flops that hug your heels and support your arches…
So, those are my tips for happy and healthy feet! And remember, take care of your feet and they will take care of you!
If you are looking for a podiatrist in the Sarasota-Bradenton area, please schedule an appointment with Dr. Lasday right away for a thorough and professional evaluation, either in his Bradenton Podiatry office or Sarasota Podiatry office.