Where did the summer go? I’m noticing all these back-to-school ads! Is it that time already? Wow. That means it’s time to buy school supplies, backpacks, new clothes and shoes—all that jazz.
Shoe shopping can often be a maddening experience for parents because kid’s feet grow so rapidly! So with this in mind, I would like to share a few tips with you today to possibly ease the process of selecting footwear for your offspring!
Remember, it’s important that they are wearing shoes that fit well and provide good support. And here are some other important tips to keep in mind:
- Measure your child’s feet before every new shoe purchase, no matter how recently the feet were last measured. Children’s feet grow rapidly!
- Make sure the child is wearing the socks he or she would normally wear.
- Carefully inspect the child’s feet for any signs of irritation after trying on new shoes.
- Although it can save money, try to avoid buying secondhand shoes. Secondhand shoes have different wear patterns that could irritate the second owner’s feet as well as spread fungal infections.
- Inspect the heels of your child’s existing shoes to look for signs of uneven wear. If you see uneven wear, it could indicate a foot problem that needs to be checked out.
- Let your child participate in the shoe-shopping experience and ask them how they feel!
- Choose the size that accommodates the child’s largest foot. Oftentimes, kids have one foot larger than the other.
And keep these tips close by because your kid’s feet are going to grow and you’ll be shoe shopping again before you know it!
If you are looking for a podiatrist in the Sarasota-Bradenton area, please schedule an appointment with Dr. Lasday right away for a thorough and professional evaluation, either in his Bradenton Podiatry office or Sarasota Podiatry office.